Recycling Food and Farm Waste to Create Renewable Energy
Vanguard Renewables’ Farm Powered anaerobic digestion program is the largest Massachusetts destination for food waste completing a Table to Farm closed loop organics to energy lifecycle. We develop, construct, own, and operate farm-based clean energy systems that provide long-term organics to energy solutions. The Farm Powered program offers institutions, manufacturers, and municipalities the opportunity to reduce environmental impacts while sustaining a Massachusetts farm. Our customized, reliable, clean, and economically-viable organic waste collection and recycling solution enables food waste generators to comply with Commercial Food Material Disposal Bans and meet institutional sustainability goals.
Vanguard’s Farm Powered operating portfolio of anaerobic digesters represent the largest organics recycling destination in the Northeast with nearly 200,000 tons per year of combined on-farm and off-farm organics being processed. Vanguard’s current program of single stream and co-digestion facilities in development reaches across six states.
In Massachusetts, Vanguard’s Farm Powered facilities recycle and process 500 tons per day of food waste and 120 tons per day of manure from Massachusetts farms and leading Massachusetts food manufacturers, businesses, institutions, and food users including Gillette Stadium, MGM Springfield, Gorton’s Seafood, Cabot Creamery, Treehouse Brewing, Cape Cod Potato Chips, and Whole Foods.
How Farm Powered ® Anaerobic Digestion Works
- Diverts more than 100 tons of food waste per day
- Produces nearly 8,000 MWh of renewable energy per year; enough energy to power 2000 homes
- Reduces GHG emissions by 85%
- Offsets 5,500 of CO2 emissions daily; equivalent to taking nearly 4000 cars off the road
- Captures methane emissions from manure storage and landfills
- Replaces on-farm use of chemical fertilizers and heating oil derived from fossil fuels