Jordan Dairy Farms in Rutland, Massachusetts is a six-generation family farm, founded in 1885. The farm is a member of Dairy Farmers of America (DFA) Cooperative. Operated by brothers Randy and Brian Jordan, the farm has survived despite an extraordinary decline in dairy farm numbers across Massachusetts.
A six generation family farm
Prior to becoming a Vanguard Renewables Farm Powered partner, Jordan Dairy Farm’s monthly electric cost alone was more than $2,400. Partnering with Vanguard on the Farm Powered anaerobic digester project, the farm now receives low-cost energy, hot water, and heat for reuse.
By partnering with Vanguard Renewables on the anaerobic digester project, the farm receives low-cost energy and free heat and hot water.
More than 20,000 tons of food waste annually from food processors and users is combined with more than 9,000 tons of manure a year from the farm in a 500,000-gallon digestion tank. Manure and food waste are mixed and microorganisms convert sugars, fats, and other compounds into biogas annually producing more than 5,200 MWh of renewable energy and odor-free, organic, liquid fertilizer to increase crop yields. The anaerobic digester has revolutionized how the farm gets power, while fitting seamlessly into this quintessential New England dairy farm.
The anaerobic digester fits seamlessly into this quintessential New England dairy farm.
- 6-10 million gallons liquid organic fertilizer
- Reduced energy cost
- Odor reduction
- Increased corn and hay crop yields
- Reduction in chemical fertilizers
- Enhanced nutrient management plan
- Heat reuse
- 950-acre dairy farm
- 800 Holstein cows/300 milked 3X daily
- 700 Hybrid Double Breasted White Turkeys
- Founded in early 1885
- Located in the Rutland, Mass.
- Member of Dairy Farmers of America (DFA) Cooperative
- Built 2011, expanded 2016
- 500,000 gallon capacity
- Currently powers 800kW Engine
- Produces renewable energy equivalent to annual energy needs of 1,600 homes
- Provides energy via net metering credits to area businesses including Polar Beverages, Worcester, MA
Tons of Manure Annually
Tons of Food Waste Annually
MWh of Renewable Energy Annually
Lbs. of CO2 Emissions Annually